Friday, August 23, 2013

VL/Artspan Interview with Benjamin Cheshire


Artspan Artist Q&A
http://www.bencheshireart.com/

When did you realize you loved art and wanted to be an artist?   I was very young and started drawing on walls, grocery bags and anything that would take a mark so long ago that I think there were only 49 States in the Union at that time. I believe I may be dating myself, but when I think back to a point in time that could answer the question I only remember enjoying drawing and painting things that were not there.



Who has been your mentor, or greatest influence to date?   I was mostly self taught. It was the comic book artists that first attracted my attention, I wanted to draw just like them. Then in High School I was introduced to the Classical, then the Gothic and Renaissance artists. But if I was to name an artist of influence, I would have to say Leonardo da Vinci. I know that he is not alive in the world, but his joy of understanding and creating art is very much alive in my studio.

Who is another living artist you admire and why?   There are several living artists that I admire, some of them live nearby. But I would have to list Daniel E. Greene and his very talented wife, Wende Caporale as the persons that steered me to the art of pastels. The reason is easily seen in their works.

What is your favorite surface to create work on or to work with? Describe it if you make it yourself.   I love paper, all kinds of paper. I have boxes and shelves of paper. Graphite, pen, pastel and watercolor. I just love the feel of paper.




What are your favorite materials to use?   Graphite and pastels are my materials of choice. Although I am now learning oil and acrylic painting.

Do you have a favorite color palette?   I use so many pastels, that I do not really have a palette. With my incursions into oil painting I have been using Daniel Greene's palette. I like his set up and mixing.


     How often do you work on your artwork? How many hours
     a week?    Pastels and graphite fit into my busy life very well, I can stop at a moment's notice and pick up again quickly. I try to work 4-6 hours every day. Even when I suffer "blank page" I will sit in my studio with a cup of coffee and look at books and magazines. I have a lot.




What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for? Simply, for being a good person.

There are many culprits that can crush creativity, such as distractions, self-doubt and fear of failure. What tends to stand in the way of your creativity?   All of the above, I am never happy with any of my work. This sometimes gets in the way of creating new pieces. But, I get over it and paint.

How do you overcome these obstacles?   I close the door to my studio, and then everyone leaves me alone. There are no phones in my workplace.

What are your inspirations for your work?  I find inspiration in everything around me, foxes running through the forest, early morning light through the trees. Just life in general.

What is your favorite way to get your creative juices flowing?  It's figuring out how to flush my brain of all the aforementioned distractions. Sometimes I will hop the Metro into D.C. and walk through the Art Museums.

Which work of yours is your favorite?  So far I like the pastel "Red Wolf".





Getting to know you Q&A


     What is your favorite color in your closet?  Greens, blues and the required artist black.

What book are you reading this week?  Dan Brown's "Inferno" and  "Operation Barbarossa" by David Glantz.

Do you have a favorite television show? I rarely watch any television.

What is your favorite food?   Just about anything Italian, I love the colors, smells and the appearance of those wonderful Italian dishes.

What color sheets are on your bed right now?   That is an interesting question, they are pale blue.

What are you most proud of in your life?  My three adult children. They are everything to me.

Who would you love to interview?

Do you have a passion or hobby other than painting? What is it? I love to work on and drive my 1971 Triumph. But I am very careful with my hands.

Who would you love to portray in Mixed Media?

If you were an animal what would you be and why?   That is easy, a cat, they are totally cool.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take three things, what would they be?  My pencils, paper and of course my wine.

Share something with us that few people know about you.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?  Bermuda, the reason being, just enough English, with a hint of American and beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment