Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Visual Language Studio Interview with Artspan Artist Sharon Hodges

When did you realize you loved art and wanted to be an artist?  Art kept my childhood occupied and challenged…Real life responsibilities interrupted that reverie for many years.  I feel fortunate that art can finally occupy the majority of my time now. 

Who has been your mentor, or greatest influence to date?  Historically, I’m an admirer of George Bellows, Sergei Bongart, Nicholai Fechin, Lucien Freud, and many others.…I’ve enjoyed workshops with Qiang Huang and Don Sahli recently, but I am mostly self taught, trial by fire…I’ve used and abused lots and lots of paint, and plan to use exponentially more.  


I read a lot, I visit as many galleries as possible, and I truly enjoy the work of all my friends.

Who is another living artist you admire and why?  I’m a big admirer of Louisa McElwain’s work.  Sadly, she passed away this year at the zenith of her artistic powers…her work is full of emotion, raw energy, and awe for the natural world…..I covet Donna Howell Sickles and Jeremy Lipking’s work…also Larissa Aukon and Amy Ringholz and Walt Gonske.  My interests are wide and varied.

What is your favorite surface to create work on or to work with?  I work on canvas, the heavier the better…and I prefer a larger surface.  Working small feels very confining.

What are your favorite materials to use?   Very large filbert brushes, large palette knives, large rubber spatulas, trowels, anything that I can smash paint around with….  

Do you have a favorite color palette?  I love color, all of it, and I gravitate to a warmer palette.  Occasionally I will intentionally paint something in a cool palette, but it takes real concentration, as it is not my natural tendency.

How often do you paint?  I paint at least 4-5 days each week, 6-8 hours each day….half the battle is showing up and getting started….then, the time just evaporates.

What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for. ?  A generous heart.

There are many culprits that can crush creativity, such as distractions, self-doubt and fear of failure. What tends to stand in the way of your creativity?  Yes, family obligations, daily life distractions, and self doubt are all creativity crushers…We all juggle the demands of our daily lives with the need to feed our creative selves.






What are the inspirations for your work?  The natural world is my greatest inspiration.  I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to spend time observing and painting nature, the landscape, and animals. I seek to capture emotion……a frozen moment, a feeling…..and translate that to the canvas…….I’m still figuring out how to do this…It is not a tangible thing…Success will come when the viewer experiences a similar emotional response to a painting…The best practice may be to run around at night catching fireflies….it’s the ‘AHA’ moment if you ever really get one…THAT’s what I’m after.


How do you overcome these obstacles? Just getting to the studio each day helps…I am blessed w/ a supportive husband, friends, and great studio partners who encourage my work.  The smell of the paints, good music, the quiet company of a painting friend or two is helpful for me.

What is your favorite way to get creative juices flowing?  Just paint…for me, it is all about moving the paint on the surface, making the colors vibrate together...I’m enjoying painting thicker now…it gets dangerous, only from the standpoint that it is easy to lose control of a painting quickly when there is so much wet paint on the surface…it can turn from colorful to mud in an instant.

Which work of yours is your favorite?  My next painting is always my favorite.

Up Close and Personal

What is your favorite color in your closet? Dark Charcoal Grey..most of my clothes are covered in paint (yes, I’m messy).  My few non-painting clothes are all neutral: black, dk grey, white, taupe…I have a nice collection of big scarves and leather jackets.  I dress simply.

What book are you reading this week?  One Hundred Years of Solitude  and Love in the Time of Cholera, both by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Do you have a favorite televion show? I don’t watch much TV, but I do love Big Bang Theory and all the college football games.

What is your favorite food? Ice Cream.

What color sheets are on your bed right now? Bleached Bone White….always.  Even in my previous career in the home furnishings industry, I looked at color all day…. So my home is cream, taupe, white, linen, w/ a few black leather furnishings.  I find this neutral palette is a lovely background for colorful art and a couple of nice rugs….and it gives my eyes and brain a rest.

What are you most proud of in your life?  My step-daughter’s accomplishments…Brooke has had many challenges in her life, and she’s capitalized on her opportunities and is doing great!

Who would you love to interview?  My dog.

Do you have a passion or hobby other than painting/sculpting? Skiing and Golf 

If you were an animal what would you be and why?  Leopard, because they are sleek and fabulous…who wouldn’t want those spots?

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take three things, what would they be? I realize I am supposed to say “a toothbrush, Swiss army knife, and my husband”, but honesty dictates that I state the obvious:  I’ll need a STOL jet, plenty of fuel, and a jet pilot.

Share something with us that few people know about you. I was once asked to leave a karaoke bar….for singing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good data here- Bongart is a fav of mine. Met him once in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete