Saturday, December 7, 2013

Artspan. Visual Language Magazine Studio Visit with Elizabeth Chapman

ADVENTURE...in one word that would be how I would describe my love for painting abstracts.  There is the original inspiration or spark that sets the whole process in motion, with the belief that a wonderful work of art will emerge, yet navigating without a plan. Think going on a vacation without an agenda! The challenge is in responding to each new element that emerges on the canvas, capturing a sense of beauty through the use of color, shape, line, values and texture. Realizing that this is all but a glimpse of the bigger picture.

© Elizabeth Chapman


As a modern abstract expressionistic painter, I work intuitively quickly making decisions as I am painting with each new mark leading to the next idea. The initial inspiration for a painting can come from many different sources, but once begun, following the creative flow is important to me.  My work is always in the process of evolving as I grow as an artist. Many times the hardest part of this growth is in the letting go.

I’ve always loved art. A strong passion for creating my own art begun and grew during the years that I worked as a high school art teacher. Through the encouragement of others I began to see the artist within me. Intuitively, I knew that I was an artist first and foremost. This required a huge step in faith in order to pursue working independently as an artist and to believe in myself.
© Elizabeth Chapman

A verse from God’s word that was given to me in those first days and is still tacked to my studio board, spoke to my heart in strengthening me for the task. It reads: Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plum line in Zerubbabel’s hand.  Zechariah 4:10  I am often lifted up by these words- in that they speak to me about using the talents that have been given to us. Success is in realizing the way that each of us are made and in working to the best of our abilities.

I am very thankful for the support I have received from my family, friends, fellow artists and last but certainly not least those who have financially invested in my efforts. For all these people have played a role in supporting the arts.



“It brings me much joy just to be the brush in the Master Painter’s hand and to realize that His creations are made to bring great joy to all.”  Elizabeth Chapman.

http://melizabethchapman.artspan.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment