Friday, January 3, 2014

Photography Interview Tom Peterson, Artspan, VL Magazine January 2014

I took early retirement from The Hartford Financial Group in September of 2003.  That year, I devoted myself to learn and develop as a Documentary and Fine Arts photographer.  I was originally influenced by the life and photography of Eugene Atget, the French photographer whose work concentrated on “Old” Paris during the early 20th Century.  Since 2005, I have dedicated myself to photographing the disappearing sections of Connecticut cities and, more recently, New York’s 5th Avenue.

I generally find places that are in a state of change and often return to them. The more I return, the more I see. That familiarity provides me with opportunities to create unique sets of images and themes.

Many of my photographs focus on an abstract view of every day structures and close-up subjects we often pass by, but rarely notice.   My objective is to find and photograph the uncommon within the commonplace.  



The photographs included in my portfolio, “Around Here”, are part of an ongoing series taken while walking along side streets, back alleys, and vacant buildings in Connecticut’s urban centers.  These particular photographs were taken in once vibrant, industrial neighborhoods that have been left in a state of urban decay.

I have imagined myself an archeologist finding small pieces of abstract art that have gone unnoticed.  Each subject was selected for its vibrant color, shape and texture.  I share any success with my partners, “Time” and “Weather”. 

“Around Here” is one of six portfolios that are currently on my Artspan website, 







No comments:

Post a Comment