Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Artspan Artist Spotlight with Jean Howard

When did you realize you loved art and wanted to be an artist?
I don't remember exactly when I first wanted to be an artist. 

Who has been your mentor, or greatest influence to date?
My father was an architect and did some watercolor renderings of his projects.  I think that I always drawing.  When I was 13 he gave me some art books and about that time I knew that I wanted to be an artist. He was my greatest mentor.
Who is another living artist you admire and why?

The artists that I admire are Richard Diebenkorn and Hans Halls. I know that they are dead but I am not influenced as much by today's artists.


What is your favorite surface to create work on or to work with? Describe it if you make it yourself.
I like to work on handmade watercolor paper when I do watercolors and canvas for oils.

 Do you have a favorite color palette?
Not a favorite color palette.
 
How often do you work on your artwork? How many hours a week?   
I work in chunks, solid for awhile and then NOT for awhile.

What are your inspirations for your work?  
I am inspired by things that I see, sometimes unexpectedly.

 What is your favorite color in your closet? 
I don't have a favorite color.  I thought about this question a lot. I am more interested in a relationship between colors. My closet reflects this also.

What book are you reading this week? 
I am reading "behind the beautiful forevers" by Katherine Boo.

What is your favorite food? 
I love lobster.

What color sheets are on your bed right now? 
My sheets are beige.

Do you have a passion or hobby other than painting? What is it? 
My other interests include gardening and duplicate bridge.

Who would you love to paint? 
I love to paint the Ocean.


If you were an animal what would you be and why?  
    
I would like to be a seagull to fly around the banks of the ocean.

Share something with us that few people know about you.  
I am a very private person.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?  
I would love to live in Laguna Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment