Sunday, May 25, 2014

Artspan Visual Language Interview with Nancy Bossert


When did you realize you loved art and wanted to be an artist? 
Cannot remember a day when I wasn’t creating.  It definitely goes back to my elementary years.

Who has been your mentor, or greatest influence to date? I cannot say one in particular. 
Everyone I come in contact with I can learn something from.  This can be from the very young to the oldest.  However I had one graduate instructor who could put what I was seeing into words and that was Dorothea Builder.

Who is another living artist you admire and why?  Living?  I have many that are deceased; Lucian Freud and Antonio Garcia Lopez.  They both work tonal hues, craftsman, respectful of form, love of desolate spaces.  They are technically proficient and encourage the viewer to question the scene from multiple principles.

What is your favorite surface to create work on or to work with? Describe it if you make it yourself. 
Wow!  To choose one,  I would have to say 300lb hot press paper.  The paper must be archival, acid free.


What are your favorite materials to use?  I love gesso because it is a binder and provides a workable tooth to my paper for many other materials.  Adding a slight hue to gesso will provide harmony to a finished composition.  The key is to know your materials so well that mixing media becomes second nature, and technique can take over.

Do you have a favorite color palette? Very tonal.  I love browns, yellow ocher, muted greens.  However there is a need to balance these colorations with compliments.

 How often do you work on your artwork? How many hours a week? At least seven hours most days.

What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for?
Craftsmanship

There are many culprits that can crush creativity, such as distractions, self-doubt and fear of failure. What tends to stand in the way of your creativity? Normal family obligations.

How do you overcome these obstacles?  Understanding that these moments happen in everyone’s life, so make the situation positive

What are your inspirations for your work?  Love working with the human form, light, color, texture.

Which work of yours is your favorite? Paintings of my daughter




Getting to know you Q&A


What is your favorite color in your closet? Brown

What book are you reading this week? I am a news junkie

Do you have a favorite television show? Currently: Sons of Anarchy and Project runway 

What color sheets are on your bed right now? Cream

What are you most proud of in your life? My marriage and my children

Who would you love to interview? Not interview, but to have a conversation with the Pope

Do you have a passion or hobby other than painting? What is it? I crochet.

Who would you love to paint? My husband

If you were an animal what would you be and why? Bear, texture, size and movement.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take three things, what would they be? So hard.  I take Yarn on every trip, because My hands just can’t be idle.  I couldn’t imagine being somewhere without my family, but I wouldn’t want them to be stranded somewhere just because of my desire…..Crochet hooks, wine.  Not really great choices.   

Share something with us that few people know about you. I will be married 39 years this year.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? I love Easton.

https://nancybossert.artspan.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment